Monday, September 21, 2009

quick we need snacks!


This week it's all about SNACKS! The crunchy and munchy delights that are a must-have at every event. First a quick story that inspired this week's topic.

This week's grocery budget went quick since I was armed with 4 new recipes and a football game after party for 10 people on Saturday. So I did what I always do and re-evaluated as I made my way up to the check out. I scattered a trail of delicious snacks throughout the store. Moving them from my cart to random locations when nobody was looking. It was the typical leave the chips in the papertowel isle type undercover mission. Yes I am that girl- embarassingly enough. Any way, leaving the Hansel and Grettle type trail through the store does help me out. I make my budget (woo-hoo!) but get a rude awakening the next day.

I did a great beef/sausage/mushroom pasta along with chicken/spinach/artichoke stuffed shells all the night before the family was coming. After getting back from the big football game that day the only left to do was pop the food in the oven- no fuss no muss right?! WRONG- hungry football fans and a pasta dish that's going to take at least an hour means bad news!

So I had to make inpromptu snacks for the crowd but most of the snacks where somewhere in the paper towel isle back at the grocery store! I did some digging through the depths of the fridge and came up with some carrot and celery sticks with some homemade buttermilk ranch dressing. Then I baked some frozen giant soft pretzels and served them with a quick mix of mustard and honey.

Slap it on your cutest serving platters along with a great autumn trail mix and you've got yourself one happy crowd! Presentation is everything and a few simple homemade dips go a long way when you're trying to make something out of nothing. Simple can be great just serve it with a smile!

Today's Snack of the Day!
Carly's Favorite Autumn Trail Mix:
1 bag of basic trail mix (peanuts, raisins, m&m's)
1 bag of cinnamon roasted almonds
1 bag of candy corn
1 bag of candy corn pumpkins
combine all in a very large bowl then display this addicting sweet and salty mix in your favorite Halloween candy dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment